Garment Making: Pattern Fitting with Woven Essentials by Alison Glass
In this series, we’ll be working with the Woven Essentials pattern by Alison Glass. We’ll focus on the essentials of pattern fitting: Taking measurements, selecting the right pattern size, making and using a muslin to customize fit, transferring changes in your muslin to the pattern, basic construction techniques.
Students choose what to focus on, selecting from the following list of topics. If there's something you want to learn about that is not on the list, please talk to the instructor. It may be added to a future class or a good choice for an individual lesson.
- Taking your measurements and using them to select the proper pattern size. Also, blending sizes is addressed.
- How to make a muslin, what markings you should make on the muslin as you’re sewing it, what fit changes you might make to the pattern tissue before making your muslin
- Fitting the muslin and transferring the fit changes back to the paper pattern.
- Making full bust adjustments or small bust adjustments. (The pattern is made for a B cup)
- How to lengthen or shorten various areas for better fit. For example, bust dart placement, waistline placement, neckline and shoulder adjustments.
- Basic construction techniques:
- Sewing and pressing darts so they don’t get ‘pointy’
- Inserting a zipper into a dress with a facing
- Setting in sleeves
- And more!
Cost: $20 per session
Duration: 2 hours
Supplies (will need to be purchased or brought from home):
- Woven Essentials Pattern
- 3 yards of muslin, or similar light colored fabric
- Black or very contrasting thread for your muslin
- Clear gridded ruler at least 14” x 2”
Optional Supplies (can bring your own or use ours):
- Sewing machine
- Seam Ripper
- Fabric markers and Sharpie